Are you ready for National Pet Day? This annual celebration of our dogs, cats and other animal besties is coming up fast, and there’s plenty of reason to get in on the action. National Pet Day is a holiday dedicated to sharing your love for your pet, whether it’s posting their cutest pics on social, spoiling them with extra goodies, or paying it forward to your local shelters and rescues.
So when is this animal lovefest, and what’s the best way to have a happy National Pet Day? Read on to find out more about this pet-centric holiday—then join us in all the National Pet Day fun!
What Is National Pet Day?
The purpose of National Pet Day is to celebrate our pets, of course! This might sound simple at first. But the power of this holiday runs as deep as our love for our animals. As pet parents, we’re so lucky to have the joy, comfort, support and connection that our pets bring to our lives. They cheer us up when we’re feeling down, keep our minds and bodies healthy, and give us a reason to get out of bed in the morning. (Hey, our dogs aren’t going to walk themselves!)
That’s why, ever since the first National Pet Day in 2006, animal lovers across the world have spent the holiday honoring their furry, feathered or scaly loved ones. It’s the least we can do, right? And that mission extends to pets who haven’t found their forever homes yet: the pets in shelters and rescues waiting to be adopted. When we tell our friends and family members about all the great things that our own pets bring to our lives, we’re encouraging them to open their home to a pet in need, too. Think of it as the ultimate National Pet Day present.
When Is National Pet Day?
OK, now you’re fully briefed on what this holiday’s all about. But when is National Pet Day, anyway? National Pet Day is celebrated annually on April 11. In 2022, April 11 falls on a Monday—but there's no reason you can't start celebrating early and turn it into a long-weekend affair!
How to Celebrate National Pet Day
When it comes to National Pet Day, there’s no wrong way to celebrate! Take inspiration from the ideas below—and don’t forget to share your own celebrations with us on social media and tagging us @Chewy.
National Pet Day Images
The easiest way to honor your pet on National Pet Day is also guaranteed to earn you lots of “likes” as well: Post a pic of your pet on social! There’s no better way to get a double-tap from your friends and family, and each photo helps amplify the National Pet Day message of support for pets both in forever homes and at shelters and rescues.
Check out these adorable photos shared by pet parents in the Chewy community, then post your own National Pet Day image on your feeds. Don’t forget to use the #NationalPetDay hashtag, and tag @Chewy too (because of course we want to see your adorable pet in action).
National Pet Day Quotes
Looking for the perfect National Pet Day quote for your Instagram caption? We’ve got just the thing.
- “Having an animal in your life makes you a better human.” –Rachael Ray, television personality
- “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” –Anatole France, poet
- “Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.” –Roger Caras, activist
- “Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them, and filling the emptiness we didn’t ever know we had.” –Thom Jones, writer
- “My fashion philosophy is, if you’re not covered in dog hair, your life is empty.” –Elayne Boosler, comedian
- “What greater gift than the love of a cat.” –Charles Dickens, author
- “I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul.” ― Jean Cocteau, poet
- “I believe cats to be spirits come to earth. A cat, I am sure, could walk on a cloud without coming through.” – Jules Verne, author
Support a Shelter or Rescue
All pets deserve extra love on National Pet Day—and that includes pets still waiting to be adopted. So why not show your commitment to them by supporting the shelters and rescues who care for homeless pets in your community? Chewy’s Wish List feature makes it easy to donate the supplies your local animal organizations need. Just search your zip code to find a shelter or rescue in your area and add products from their Wish List to your shopping cart. When you check out, Chewy will deliver those products directly to your shelter or rescue’s doorstep.
That’s just one of many ways you can help shelters and rescues on National Pet Day. Have you considered fostering a pet, or volunteering to walk dogs? Even simply resharing a shelter’s social media post about an adoptable pet can improve that pet’s chances of adoption. For more ways to help shelters and rescues, click here.
Ways to Have Fun With Your Pet
As fun as furry photoshoots might be for us pet parents, our pets would probably prefer some quality time with their favorite humans. So carve out some time on our calendar for a new adventure or dedicated playtime this National Pet Day. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Whip up a DIY treat for your pet, like these carob-mint cookies for dogs or pumpkin mini-muffins for cats.
- Splurge on a new toy designed for interactive play, like a feather wand cat toy or rope toy for tug-of-war with your dog.
- Take a hike! Here’s everything you need to know to go hiking with your dog.
- If your cat’s the outdoorsy type, start training them for on-leash excursions into nature like a real “adventure cat.”
- Wanna get away? Here are 7 dog-friendly day trips you can take this weekend.
- Pressed for time? Break up your busy day with these 15 minute games to play with dogs.
Temporarily out of stock