Falling asleep with achy joints is challenging and not very fun. Fortunately, the right orthopedic pet bed can make a real difference and help ease arthritis in cats. If your cat is battling arthritis, consider swapping their current pet bed for one that provides more joint support.
With this guide, you’ll discover just how an orthopedic pet bed can help your arthritic cat, plus you’ll find the best bed for your kitty’s unique needs.
Symptoms of Arthritis in Cats
As cats age, their bodies tend to lose muscle tone and blood circulation. Arthritis in cats is caused by cartilage breakdown, causing joints to rub against each other and become inflamed, according to the American Animal Hospital Association. Though a hurting kitty usually won’t show that they are having joint pain, there are signs you can watch for:
- Decreased activity
- Poor litter box habits
- A change in grooming habits
- Weight changes, whether it’s a gain or loss
- Being withdrawn and shying away from being touched
If you notice symptoms of arthritis in your cat, see a veterinarian for a physical exam.
“Partner with your veterinarian on your pet’s condition and your concerns,” says Dr. Kathryn Boyle, a veterinarian at Banfield Pet Hospital. “They can help you determine what therapies, medications, supplements and diet alterations may prove beneficial.”
Benefits of Orthopedic Pet Beds for Arthritic Cats
Giving your arthritic cat a comfortable place to rest is important for her health, according to Angela Crudgington, DVM, at Plaza Del Amo Animal Hospital in Torrance, California. An orthopedic pet bed can help reduce your cat’s joint pain and provide them with a better night’s sleep.
Features to Look for in an Orthopedic Pet Bed
When shopping for a bed for an arthritic cat, keep an eye out for the special features listed below. This will ensure that you’re maximizing your cat’s comfort.
- Dense foam or padding. Thick padding will elevate your pet, making it easier for them to get up and down without crouching. Also, the denser the foam, the better the bed will be for cushioning joints and eliminating pressure points. “For arthritic pets, a supportive bed that does not compress easily with their weight is ideal,” Dr. Boyle says.
- A heating source. Cooler temperatures can aggravate joint pain, so beds that include a heating source can provide much needed relief. If your cat bed doesn’t include a heating source, you can purchase one separately.
- Waterproof materials. Look for pet bed coverings that are made of waterproof material. As your cat’s symptoms worsen, they may find it painful to get up to use the litter box. A waterproof covering can keep waste from saturating into the bed’s foam or padding. Coverings that can be removed are ideal, because they’re easier to wash and maintain.
Try These Beds for Arthritic Cats
Check out the cat beds below to help comfort your arthritic kitty:
Frisco Orthopedic Sherpa Cuddler & Cushion Dog & Cat Bed
The Frisco orthopedic cat bed is the perfect height for easy entry. Underneath the cushion is a foam base that provides orthopedic support. Plus, it’s easy on the eyes and adds a touch of color to your living space.
K&H Pet Products Deluxe Ortho Bolster Sleeper Pet Bed
The K&H Pet Products ortho sleeper is made with removable covers and liners that are machine washable and easy to clean. The sleeping surface features 3 inches of medical-grade orthopedic foam, which makes this bed a great choice for senior cats with hip or joint issues.
FurHaven Plush & Suede Orthopedic Sofa Dog & Cat Bed
For a water-resistant pet bed with orthopedic support, consider the FurHaven plush orthopedic sofa cat bed. This orthopedic cat bed uses medical-grade orthopedic foam for the base, egg-crate foam to allow better airflow and a bed that gently cradles your cat’s entire body relieving joint pressure.
FurHaven Microvelvet Snuggery Orthopedic Dog & Cat Bed
Cats are curious creatures who enjoy their privacy. Many cat beds come with hooded coverings, providing felines with a sense of security and privacy while they rest. The FurHaven Snuggery orthopedic pet bed gives your cat a cozy den of their very own. The bed features a soft, shapeable blanket and solid orthopedic foam mattress for good posture and reduced joint pressure.
K&H Pet Products Thermo-Kitty Cat Bed
For some added warmth, try K&H’s Thermo-Kitty cat bed. It comes with a dual-thermostat, low-wattage heating pad, which is removable. The super-soft cover is removable as well and makes washing a breeze.
Arthritis can turn your purring, playful pet into a cat in pain. While you may not be able to cure your beloved pet of arthritis, you can provide joint support and pain relief with a comfortable orthopedic pet bed.