1. Foods (chocolate, xylitol, and grapes/raisins)
We have all heard that chocolate is toxic to dogs. What some may not know is that xylitol, the sweetener used in many sugarless foods including gum and candy is highly toxic.
According to the vets at Pet Poison Helpline, “When ingested, even in small amounts, it can result in a life-threatening drop in blood sugar or even liver failure.”
Also important to note, grapes and raisins are among the most toxic foods to dogs and can cause kidney failure.
2. Insecticides (sprays, bait stations, and spot on flea/tick treatment)
Pay particular attention to products that contain organophosphates, often found in rose-care products, which can be life-threatening even in small amounts.
For obvious reason, these products are toxic and can cause severe issues in dogs including internal bleeding, brain swelling, kidney failure, or severe vomiting and bloat, according to the veterinarians.
Your dog can even be poisoned by eating dead rodents that ingested rat poison!
4. NSAIDS human drugs (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory drugs, like ibuprofen and naproxen)
NSAIDS can cause stomach and intestinal ulcers, and kidney failure. Do not give these drugs to your dog unless recommended by a veterinarian.
5. Household cleaners
These are bad for your kids and bad for your pets. Pet Poison Helpline reminds us that just because a cleaner says “natural” does not necessarily mean it is safe.
6. Antidepressant human drugs
Antidepressants account for the highest number of prescription medication-related calls to the Pet Poison Helpline. According to their veterinarians, “When ingested, they can cause neurological problems in dogs like sedation, lack of coordination, agitation, tremors, and seizures.”
7. Fertilizers (including bone meal, blood meal, and iron-based)
The problem with fertilizers is that, to a dog, they smell heavenly and probably taste good. However, ingesting fertilizer can cause severe pancreatitis or form concretion in the stomach, which obstructs the gastrointestinal tract.
8. Acetaminophen human drugs
Like other drugs, acetaminophen can cause severe liver failure in dogs. It can also cause dry eye. A single Tylenol tablet can be fatal to a cat.
9. Amphetamine human drugs
According to Pet Poison Helpline, “medications used to treat ADD and ADHD contain potent stimulants…even minimal ingestions by dogs can cause life-threatening tremors, seizures, elevated body temperatures and heart problems.”
Just like with us, it’s not good to overdose your dog on painkillers. The result can be severe gastric ulceration and acute kidney failure. Make sure you follow your veterinarian’s recommended dosage. If you think your dog is still in pain, take him back to the vet, don’t up the dosage yourself.
The best way to prevent dog poisoning is to be diligent. Dog-proof your home in the same way you would baby-proof. Put medications in high cupboards that dogs cannot reach. Make sure the garbage has a tight lid, or better yet, is in a cabinet with a child lock on it so your pet cannot get into it while you are gone. If it is impossible to put something out of your dog’s reach, do not leave your pet unaccompanied.
Pet Poison Helpline reminds us to never medicate a pet with human drugs without consulting your veterinarian first. It also reminds us to be aware of cigarette butts, which are harmful to dogs and any poisonous plants in our houses or your yards.
To learn more about the Pet Poison Helpline, click here.
Posted by: Chewy Editorial
Featured Image: Flower_Power/Shutterstock.com