Beat the back-to-school blues with a DIY dog treat for your furry companion. These apple-shaped dog treats are easy to make and are a perfect way to show your dog he is the apple of your eye.
Is your pup a health nut? Well, he’ll be glad to know that each treat has real apple mixed in for a dose of vitamins to keep your star pup on his A-game all day long.
If your very good boy is ready to graduate to teacher’s pet, pull out your baking utensils, follow this recipe and serve him one of these delicious, homemade dog treats.
- 1 cup of flour
- ¼ cup of water
- 2 tbsp. peanut butter
- 1 tbsp. of finely grated apple
- 2 tbsp. beet juice
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 1 small bowl
- Mixing spoon or spatula
- Measuring spoons
- Non-stick parchment paper
- Baking sheet
- Optional: apple-shaped cookie cutter
Yield: Six dog treats
Serving Size: One treat per dog
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 10 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix ¾ cup of flour, water, peanut butter and cinnamon together in a bowl.
- Mix beet juice and apples in with the batter in the large bowl until mixture thickens and turns pink.
- Once the mixture becomes too thick to mix, massage the mixture in your hands until a consistent dough forms.
- Sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup of flour onto your workstation.
- With wet hands, break off dough into six pieces.
- Form each piece into a ball and flatten with your wet hands onto your workstation.
- Use an apple-shaped cookie cutter to create shapes from the dough.
- Place in the oven and let cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
Make sure to give one apple dog treat to all the four-legged students in your life!