Thanksgiving brings us so many yummy foods for our dinner tables. While spoiling your dog is a special way of creating a bond with him, human foods and spices usually turn dog-friendly foods of the season into harmful holiday dangers. Give your four-legged family a unique way to enjoy the holiday season with this easy dog treat recipe for a pet-safe Thanksgiving dinner! Inspired by turkey, sweet potatoes and pumpkin, these Thanksgiving dog treats are easy to make with our step-by-step dog biscuit recipe. These DIY dog treats are made with real ingredients so your dog can enjoy the flavors of fall without all the worry. They’re perfect to enjoy any time of the year—your pup will be sure to gobble these homemade dog biscuits right up!
Thanksgiving Dog Treat DIY Recipe
- 1 ¼ cup American Journey Turkey Recipe Grain-Free Oven Baked Dog Treats
- 1 sweet potato
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup pumpkin (make sure it’s 100% pumpkin with nothing else added)
- Hugs Pet Products Silicone Baking Pan
- Measuring cup
- Can opener
- Rolling pin
- Mixing bowl
- 2 resealable bags
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 40 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes
Yield: 20 DIY dog treats
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Wash sweet potato, and dry. Poke with fork multiple times, and bake for 60 minutes.
- Place American Journey Turkey Oven Baked dog treats into a resealable bag, and crush with rolling pin.
- Mix the crushed American Journey treats with the baked sweet potato and pumpkin.
- Press the dog cookie recipe mixture into the Hugs Pet Products silicone baking pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Once cooled, press from bottom of the baking pan to get each homemade dog biscuit out of the form.
- Place peanut butter into a resealable plastic bag and cut off the bottom corner. Use the peanut butter bag to pipe each of the DIY dog treats to create a frosting for your homemade dog biscuit!
With all the holiday hazards that your pet has to face, don’t let his treats be one of them! Include your four-legged family in the celebration this year with Thanksgiving dog treats that keep them from getting into holiday foods that aren’t pet-safe. With this simple dog cookie recipe, your pup can enjoy the flavors of fall in any season. Dog-tested and dog-approved, this DIY dog treat recipe creates a special snack just for pups!
This recipe was reviewed by a veterinarian. It is intended as a treat or snack. Treats should only constitute a small percentage of your pet’s daily food. If your pet has any health issues, or if you have any concerns, consult your pet’s veterinarian before offering this food item.